Smartphone Bike Mount Recommendations

Discussion in 'For Sale/Wanted' started by RickF, Apr 24, 2012.

1. RickF

RickF Cue Sheet Moderator Staff Member

Over the past two years, I have broken two cell phones by carrying them in my jersey pocket. The first most likely died from getting wet, so I replaced it with a ruggedized, water resistant version, but I managed to crack the screen on that one. Now, I am about to enter the 21st century and upgrade to either a Droid Razr, Droid Bionic, or HTC Rezound.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a bike mount for a smartphone? I do not want to carry the new phone in my jersey pocket.
  2. jcmerry

jcmerry oldkidonabike

3. TLC4Bikes

TLC4Bikes owner of TLC for Bikes in Raleigh NC

Wahoo Fitness has the best options for your iphone - it does come with a price. Phone protector cost starts at $60 and goes up from there. Very nice options (cadence & heart rate & extended battery plug etc). Options like the before mentioned cost starts at $100 and goes up.
    Delta Smart Phone Caddy cost $20 and works very nice. Connects to either handle bar or top cap on the headset.
    Topeak has the iPhone Dry Bag , iPhone Ride Case - both pretty nice. I only have the black version on the Dry Bag ($25) and will have the Ride Case very soon ($45).

I have a nice selection available either at the store or can be delivered within 1 day.
  4. Zonda

Zonda Super Moderator Staff Member

I have the Tigra Bike Mount and love it, $44.99 at Performance. I've had it a year and it works great. I read the mixed reviews on Performance, but I haven't had any issues.
  5. RickF

RickF Cue Sheet Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the suggestions. For a variety of reasons, I will not be getting an iPhone or a Blackberry. My choices are limited to the Android operating system and because of the signals I can get at my house, I am limited to Verizon. That leaves me with the choice of Motorola, HTC, LG, or Samsung. I am leaning towards one of the models I named in m previous post, but that might change once I see the phones.

Gary, once I have the phone in my hands, I will probably come up to the store to see you. The Delta Smart Phone Caddy looks like a viable option, but I do want to make sure the phone works with the mount.
  6. RidesASteelHorse

RidesASteelHorse New Member

If you plan on using the phone for GPS/Navigation or tracking your ride you'll want to get the extended battery or in the case of the Razr, the Razr Maxx (which I have). My brother has a Resound and says the battery life is awful.
  7. TLC4Bikes

TLC4Bikes owner of TLC for Bikes in Raleigh NC

The Delta Smart Phone Holder will certainly hold any of the phones you are looking at. We can also talk a little (when you get here or before you get here) about the extended battery possibility. It all depends on how long your rides are and what information you want on the phone. Come on by anytime. :)
  8. tcpasley

tcpasley Member

Does the Delta Smart Phone Caddy actually work with a Droid Bionic? I was thinking about getting one but Droid Bionic and Razr are listed as "non-compatible" here => http://deltacycle.com/dcimages/SmrtPhCompatible.pdf

I've been carrying my Droid Bionic in a back jersey pocket in a sealed ZipLoc bag (real ZipLoc, not a cheap imitation ;)) with no problems so far, but it's not full-blown sweat season yet. My eyes are too bad to use it for "real-time" mapping and navigation. I just run the Strava ride tracking app. As for battery life, I haven't had any problems on rides up to 2.5 hours.

tcpasley

Reduce, Reuse, Rebicycle
  9. dookie

dookie Member

speaking as a phone geek...

no advice about mounts. of your listed choices, razr. do NOT get the bionic. myself, i'd be after the galaxy nexus.
  10. jcmerry

jcmerry oldkidonabike

I'll second that choice of phones. My son and I have the Verizon RAZR MAXX and the battery life is EXCELLENT. Compared to the previous Sprint HTC EVO 4G, I feel like I now live on the other side of the tracks. I can go 3 days without charging. I haven't mounted it on the bike yet and it has a rather large screen. Hoping that will be good for "aged" eyes.
  11. KarenG

KarenG Airwolf Staff Member

Rick, I know you asked about mounts for the smartphone, but if you wanted to carry your phone in your jersey pocket, you might want to look at these...Jersey Bin. I'm looking at them too and may get one or 2.
  12. mike strickland

mike strickland New Member

http://www.quadlockcase.com/ This just started shipping i got one for my iphone about a week ago and it is the best solution i have ever seen. it has a incredible fit and the phone will not come out of the mount unless you unlock it. the rain cover should be shipping soon, that was the only miss i saw with this solution. they offer a unversal mount that attaches to the android os phones. I installed a mount in my car, bike, and one on my motorcycle, absolute rock solid case and mount.
  13. mike strickland

mike strickland New Member

14. Rickz

Rickz New Member

I use a universal smartphone mount called Velocity Clip. Its great because it works with my protective case, if I upgrade my phone I dont have to buy a new mount, and I can film my rides, use my phones GPS, and even answer my phone while riding. It is also interchangeable with their chest, head and adhesive mounts. So if you dont want your phone on your handlebars you still have other options.
    Heres a link:
    velocityclip.com
    fb.com/Velocityclip

Attached Files: